Photo: Mark Canton, Valerio Ruiz, Andrea Sorrentino, Danny DeVito, Sofia Milos and Marco Leonardi
ACCORDING TO THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER:
Both Awards to Be Presented During the L.A., Italia Festival’s
March 2nd Closing Night Ceremonies
LOS ANGELES, March 1, 2017 – The 13thannual L.A., Italia Film, Fashion & Art Fest ends on a high note here tomorrow evening (Friday, March 2nd) with a glittering array of Hollywood A-listers and Oscar nominees in attendance as honorees and special guests at the Festival’s closing ceremonies at the TCL Chinese Theatres in the famed Hollywood & Highland complex.
Leading the list of honorees, according to festival founder-producer Pascal Vicedomini, are:
• The actor-producer-director Danny DeVito, who will be presented with the Italian Republic’s highest civic honor, The Order of Merit. It will be given to DeVito by the Italian Consul General Antonio Verde, coincidental with him receiving the Festival’s 2018 Jack Valenti – L.A., Italia Legend Award which is presented in the name of the late MPAA head to an outstanding Italian-American who has made significant contributions to the entertainment industry.
• “Call Me by Your Name” director Luca Guadagnino and producer Marco Morabito. Guadagnino has been named Best Director and the film Best Picture of the Year.
• Set decorator Alessandra Querzola and the Oscar®-winning production designer Dennis Gassner for their amazing work on “Blade Runner 2049” directed by Dennis Villenevue will be receiving the Festival’s Best Production Design award.
• Melissa Leo who will be honored as the Italian-American Actress of the Year.
• Oscar nominee Alexandre Desplat who will receive the Festival’s Best Original Score Award for “Shape of Water.” In 2015 Desplat won an Academy Award for “The Grand Budapest Hotel” and was also nominated for “The Imitation Game.”
The 13th annual L.A., Italia Fest, chaired by Italian-American actress Maria Bello with film executive Dorothy Canton serving as president, began February 25th with a star-studded array of Italian, Italian-American and international artists participating in the weeklong celebration showcasing the best of Italian culture. This year’s festival was dedicated to Italian icons Lina Wertmuller, Franco Zefferelli and Bernardo Bertolucci.
Acknowledged by the media since 2006 as one of the most exciting Italian film events in the world, L.A., Italia is presented by the Capri in the World Institute with special partners Intesa Sanpaolo, AMBI Media Group, and Isaia and is held under the auspices of the Italian Consulate General in Los Angeles. Ongoing supporters are the Italian Ministry of Cultural Heritage, Activities and Tourism (DG Cinema) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Sponsors include ANICA, APT, and the Italian Trade Commission in association with Rai Cinema, Rai Com, Rainbow, Medusa, Mediaset Italia, ANICA, APT the Italian Trade Commission and the Italian Institute of Culture – Los Angeles.
“The event honored Italian and American artists alike as part of our ongoing effort to build bridges between our two great countries,” Vicedomini and Festival honorary chair Mark Canton said, adding, “The caliber of this year’s guests and movies were a testament to how many people from both sides of the Atlantic share this same goal.”
Other award-winners are:
• LA, ITALIA BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM – “Loving Vincent,” also an Oscar nominee. Producer-director Hugh Welchman and producer Sean Bobbitt will accept the award.
• LA, ITALIA BREAKOUT DIRECTOR – Writer-director Christian Gudegast, who made his directorial debut with the recent hit film, “Den of Thieves,” for which a sequel has already been announced.
• LA, ITALIA BREAKOUT ACTOR – The Serbian actor Milos Bikovic for his outstanding performance in “Beyond the Edge.”
The closing ceremonies will be followed by the US premiere of AMBI Media Group’s “Beyond the Edge.” The action fantasy film which stars Antonio Banderas is set in contemporary Moscow. It is directed by Aleksandr Boguslavskiy and Francesco Cinquemani and produced by Andrea Iervolino, Lady Monika Bacardi, Evgeniy Melentev and Viktor Denisyuk.
L.A., Italia’s sister festivals are the Capri-Hollywood International Film Festival, which takes place each December, and the Ischia Global Film & Music Festival, which takes place each July.
# # #
ACCORDING TO THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER:
ACCORDING TO STYLEVERYDAY:
ACCORDING TO IL GLOBO: